The Civil Service Commission in collaboration with the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) conducts the Penology Officer Examination every two years. It is given to qualified individuals who want to join the Bureau as a Jail Officer 1. The purpose of the exam is to establish a Register of Eligibles (RoE) from which certification and appointment to second level ranks in the BJMP and other functionally related positions shall be made, provided the eligibles meet the qualifications and other requirements of the positions.
Penology Officer Exam 2021 Schedule
The Civil Service Commission will conduct the Penology Officer Examination (POE) on October 10, 2021. The application period starts on July 21, 2021 and ends on August 20, 2021. Applicants are advised to submit their applications early as the slots are limited and will be on a ‘first come, first serve’ basis. If the CSC reaches the target number of applicants even before the deadline, the Commission may close the acceptance of applications earlier than expected.
Qualifications and Requirements
The CSC sets a list of qualifications that all applicants must strictly follow. Here are the things you must have to qualify for the 2018 Penology Officer Examination:
- He or she must be a Filipino citizen;
- Must be a Baccalaureate degree holder from a government-recognized institution;
- Physically and mentally fit;
- of good moral character;
- No criminal record, must not have been convicted of an offense or crime involving moral turpitude;
- and have not been dishonorably discharged from military service or dismissed for cause from any civilian position in the government.
- The applicant must be 21 to 30 years old at the time of filing of applications;
- At least 5’4″ in height for male and 5’2″ for female
Applicants who successfully passed the examination shall be granted the Penology Officer Eligibility which is a second-level eligibility. He or she shall qualify for a second level rank under the uniformed service in the jail management and penology services of the government.
For applicants who are already Board or Bar passers are automatically granted second-level eligibility pursuant to RA 1080. Similarly, passers of Civil Service Examination-Professional and those with Honor Graduate Eligibility under P.D. 907 may opt not to take the exam anymore.
Here are the testing centers for this year’s Fire Officer Examination. However, this list may change in light of the emerging/evolving COVID-19 situation.
|1||San Fernando City, La Union|
|3||CIty of San Fernando, Pampanga|
|9||Zamboanga City- cancelled|
|10||Cagayan de Oro City|
|11||Davao City- (deferred until further notice)|
General Santos City
|CARAGA||Butuan City (deferred until further notice)|
Appointment System and Updates
Due to limited slots available and in adherence with the safety and health protocols, most CSC Regional and Field offices will strictly implement an “APPOINTMENT SYSTEM” relative to the acceptance of applications. To facilitate filing and processing of applications, applicants are required to book in advance in the Online Reservation System (ORS) of the Field Office they intend to file at. For the scheduling and booking of your appointment, you may access the following link:
National Capital Region
- Walk-in application only
- CSC FO Ilocos Norte, Laoag City, Ilocos Norte
- CSC FO Ilocos Sur, Bantay, Ilocos Sur
- CSC FO La Union, San Fernando City, La Union
- CSC FO Western Pangasinan, Lingayen, Pangasinan
- CSC FO Eastern Pangasinan, Urdaneta City, Pangasinan
- Regional Office
- Pampanga Field Office
- Nueva Ecija Field Office
- Tarlac Field Office
- Zambales Field Office
Please be advised that the CSC RO V will not yet accept applications on July 21, 2021. They are still coming up with procedures to ensure observance of health protocols.
Due to the ECQ status of Iloilo City until July 31, 2021, the CSC Regional Office No. VI in Mandurriao, Iloilo City, and the CSC Iloilo Field Office at Fort San Pedro, Iloilo City, will receive applications for Penology Officer Examination starting August 2, 2021, until August 20, 2021, subject to the quarantine classification of Iloilo City and Province.
The CSCRO 7 is not yet accepting applications for the October 2021 Penology Officer Examination. They are still waiting for the approval of Cebu City-LGU to hold the said examination on its jurisdiction taking into consideration the current VOPVID-19 pandemic.
The CSC RO VIII will not yet accept applications on July 21, 2021. They are still coordinating with the Local Government Unit and the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) for the conduct of said examinations. Interested applicants are requested to wait for further instruction/announcement which shall be communicated on their Official Facebook page and website.
Due to uncertainties brought about by the current health crisis, the conduct of ALL TYPES OF EXAMINATIONS in Region IX has been duly CANCELLED until further notice.
The filing of applications for the October 10, 2021 FOE/POE/BLCTE in Region XI (Davao Region) is DEFERRED until further notice. Accordingly, CSCROXI Regional Office and its CSC Field Offices will NOT be accepting applications for these examinations.
The filing of the application SHALL BE DONE ONLINE through this link (https://iwap.cscro12.com) starting on 21 July 2021 at 8:00 AM. For those interested to apply please have the requirements in ELECTRONIC COPY (ID picture, valid ID, Certificate of Live Birth (if applicable), Certificate of Employment (if applicable) prior to accessing the link for uploading purposes. Further, please access the application link prior to the start of filing to sign up in the system. For those who already have the CSC RO XII IWAP account, please check if your account is still active, otherwise please message them through the Official CSC RO XII Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/cscregion12).
The filing of applications for the 2021 Penology Officer Examination in the CARAGA Region is deferred until further notice due to the MECQ classification in Butuan City and the current health situation in the region.
Application Requirements and Guide
Applicants must provide the following documentary requirements :
1. A fully accomplished Civil Service Examination Form – CS Form No. 100 ( Revised September 2016). The spaces for the signature and thumbmark should be left blank. These shall be accomplished in the presence of the CSC application processor.
2. Original and photocopy of your valid ID. To know more about the list of accepted ID’s, check this out: CSC List of Accepted IDs
3. Four (4) pcs. Philippine Passport size pictures with a dimension of 4.5 cm x 3.5 cm or 1.78 x 1.38 inches. Submit pictures that are taken within the last 3 months prior to the filing of the application. The picture must be colored on a white background and printed on good-quality photo paper. Additionally, it must be in the bare face with no eyeglasses, colored contact lenses, or any accessories that may cover the facial features (facial features not computer-enhanced). The nametag must be handwritten and not computer-generated. Please refer to the images below for a more detailed explanation of this matter.
4. Prepare a non-refundable examination fee of Php 700.00
After completing all the required documents, you must personally submit them to the CSC Regional Office or any CSC field office where you intend to take the examination. Submit your application as soon as possible because as stated above, it will be on a first-come, first-served basis. For your reference, a complete directory of CSC Regional and field offices nationwide is available at the official website of the Civil Service Commission.
After submitting the documentary requirements and paying the exam fee, the processor will give you the official receipt and examination slip. The CSC will inform you of your school assignment (place of examination) through the Online Notice of School Assignment or ONSA. It shall be available at the official CSC website about two weeks before the examination day. We advise that you secure a printout of this ONSA before leaving your place for the exam.
Health Declaration Form
As part of the COVID-19 protocol, you are required to accomplish and submit a Health Declaration Form (HDF) which will be available for downloading and printing from the CSC website or through this link: CSC Health Declaration Form Download.
You must accomplish the form within 24 hours prior to exam day. The temperature reading will be written only upon going through thermal scanning at the main entrance of the school/testing venue on examination day.
Here are some important reminders and the things to bring on the examination day:
- Practice social distancing and wear a face mask and face shield upon entering the venue and throughout the duration of the exam.
- Bring a hand sanitizer with no more than 100ml in size.
- Bring black ballpen/s. Borrowing of ballpens is not allowed to prevent cross-contamination.
- Do not forget to bring your Health Declaration Form!
- Bring the ID that you used during the application. No ID, No exam.
- Do not be late! Be at the testing venue not later than 6:30 AM.
- Wear proper attire on examination day preferably plain white shirt/tops. Sleeveless shirt/blouse, shorts/short pants, tokong pants, ripped jeans and slippers are not allowed.
- If you have long hair, tie it into a ponytail.
- Do not bring cellular phones, gadgets, smartwatches, books, and other printed materials to your seat. You can deposit those items in the designated area prior to occupying your designated seat.
- Lastly, do not bring the test booklet outside the testing area.
POE Passing Grade
Applicants who managed to obtain a general rating of at least 80.00% will pass the exam. He or she will be given the Penology Officer Eligibility equivalent to the Civil Service Commission Second-Level Eligibility. The Penology Officer Eligibility is one of the primary requirements to join the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology as a Jail Officer 1.