Looking for a course in college where you are assured of 100% employment right after graduation? Why don’t you join the Philippine Merchant Marine Academy (PMMA) this 2020? Aside from the employment opportunities right after college, you will be provided board and lodging, free tuition fees,and an assured training onboard international vessels. Interested? Please read on and know the requirements, entrance exam schedule, and application procedure to the most prestigious maritime institution in the country today.
About the PMMA
The Philippine Merchant Marine Academy (PMMA) is the premier state-sponsored maritime school in the Philippines. Being a state institution, it is supported by government funds with the help of several companies from the shipping industry. It offers two (2) major programs, namely: Bachelor of Science in Marine Transportation (BSMT) and Bachelor of Science in Marine Engineering (BSMarE), as well as short-term training and re-training of marine officers and ratings seamen. Located at a former American radar base in San Narciso, Zambales, the PMMA is the breeding ground of the finest Filipino merchant marine officers preferred by the major shipping companies worldwide. Moreover, graduates of PMMA are also eligible to join the Philippine Navy or the Philippine Coast Guard as commissioned officers.
PMMAEE Schedule and Application
This year’s PMMA Entrance Examination will be on October 31, 2020 (Tentative Schedule). Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 PMMAEE will be done ONLINE.
- 1 copy of recent 2×2 colored pictures with a name tag, front view on a white background and must be attached on the application form;
- Photocopy of your Birth Certificate issued by the PSA (Baptismal and Hospital Birth Certificate not honored)
- If you are currently in grade 12:
- Certification from the school principal that you are currently enroled as Grade 12.
- Photocopy of Grade 11 report card.
- If you are a grade 12 graduate and now in first-year college:
- Photocopy of your Senior High School diploma.
- Photocopy of Grade 12 report card.
- If you are currently enrolled in college:
- Photocopy of your Registration Form.
- Certified true copy of grades.
- Applicants who are college graduates:
- Photocopy of your college diploma.
- Photocopy of Transcript of Records.
Mail your fully-accomplished application form along with the documentary requirements to this address:
Philippine Merchant Marine Academy
San Narciso, Zambales
The continuation of application via Online will be posted on PMMA’s website https://www.pmma.edu.ph/ and Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/PMMAOFFICIAL/. (Deadline of Application to be Announced).
PMMA Requirements and Qualifications
To be able to take the entrance examination and eventually join the PMMA as a cadet, an applicant must possess the following requirements and qualifications:
- The applicant must be a natural-born Filipino citizen;
- At least 17 years old and not a day older than 23 years old upon enrollment on August 01 of the school year in which he/she seeks admission to the Academy;
- Must be physically and mentally fit;
- He or she must be single and never been married and no child to support;
- Not accused or convicted of any crime against the law and the state;
- At least high school graduate (K to 12, any Strand);*
- At least 160 centimeters (5’3″) for male and 155 centimeters (5’1″) for female;
- BMI of less than 25;
- At least of good academic performance;
- Has not been enrolled in PMMA.
* An applicant must be a Senior High School Graduate (any Strand) or a High School graduate (prior to the implementation of K-12) with a College background before admission to PMMA in August 2021. Hence, High School graduates with Vocational and/or TESDA courses shall be disqualified.
Any false declaration on the application form shall be subject to disqualification regardless if he or she passes the examination. Likewise, any applicant who possesses the medical and dental conditions enumerated below are also disqualified:
- Any visual impairment like color blindness, near/far-sightedness, and other visual conditions;
- Physical deformities like bow-leggedness and other birth defects;
- Other medical conditions like perforated eardrum, chronic sinusitis, bleeding tendencies, hemorrhoids, hernia (if not treated), varicocele, extensive skin disorders, and the likes;
- With a history of heart disease hypertension, asthma, active PTB, kidney and liver diseases, epileptic seizure disorders, major operations, communicable diseases (such as AIDS, Hepatitis, VD, etc.);
- Full dentures, upper and lower;
- Cleft lip and palate, Malocclusion, Deformities of the face, Open bite, Tongue-tied;
- Missing of four anterior or front teeth or missing of four posterior/molar teeth;
- Tattoos and other brotherhood marks;
- For female applicants: Goiter, History of pregnancy, the presence of breast mass, painful menstruation.
Benefits of Being a Midshipman in the PMMA
Being a cadet of the PMMA makes you a government scholar. This is where you will experience a semi-military lifestyle of leadership environment. In addition to the free tuition and board/lodging, a midshipman is entitled to the following benefits:
- A chance to join the pioneer institution in maritime education in the country;
- A chance to travel the world for free while still studying;
- An assured shipboard training onboard international ocean-going vessels;
- Automatic commissionship in the Philippine Navy and Philippine Coast Guard as Ensign (2Lt);
- 100% employability, immediate hiring by more than thirty (30) partner international and manning companies; and
- Promising careers in the seafaring industry as master mariners; chief engineers; shipping executives, naval or coast guard officers, educators, trainers in maritime-related industries/institutions.
What are you waiting for? Here is the chance to become one of the successful seafarers at little or no cost! Submit your application now and be a part of the long BLUE LINE!