Looking for a course in college where you are assured of 100% employment right after graduation? Why don’t you join the Philippine Merchant Marine Academy (PMMA) this 2019? Aside from the employment opportunities right after college, you will be provided board and lodging, free tuition fee and an assured training onboard international vessels. Interested? Please read on and know the requirements, entrance exam schedule, and application procedure to the most prestigious maritime institution in the country today.
About the PMMA
The Philippine Merchant Marine Academy (PMMA) is the premier state-sponsored maritime school in the Philippines. Being a state institution, it is supported by government funds with the help of several companies from the shipping industry. It offers two (2) major programs, namely: Bachelor of Science in Marine Transportation (BSMT) and Bachelor of Science in Marine Engineering (BSMarE), as well as short-term training and re-training of marine officers and ratings seamen. Located at a former American radar base in San Narciso, Zambales, the PMMA is the breeding ground of the finest Filipino merchant marine officers preferred by the major shipping companies worldwide. Moreover, graduates of PMMA are also eligible to join the Philippine Navy or the Philippine Coast Guard as commissioned officers.
PMMAEE Schedule and Venues
The PMMA Entrance exam is conducted by the Admissions Office on the last Saturday of September every year. This year, the tentative exam date is on September 28, 2019. The said examination will be administered at selected testing centers nationwide. Please refer to the table below for the complete list of exam venues.
|01||PMMA, ZAMBALES||Philippine Merchant Marine Academy, San Narciso, Zambales|
|02||AGUSAN||Agusan Sur National High School, Agusan Del Sur|
|03||ALBAY||Tabaco National High School, Tabaco City|
|04||BATANGAS||Batangas National High School, Batangas City|
|05||BENGUET||Baguio City National High School, Benguet|
|06||BOHOL||Dr. Cecilio Putong National HS, Tagbilaran City|
|07||BULACAN||Marcelo H. Del Pilar National HS, Malolos City|
|08||CAGAYAN||Cagayan National High School, Tuguegarao|
|09||CAMARINES NORTE||Camarines Norte State College, Daet|
|10||CAMARINES SUR||Camarines Sur National School, Naga City|
|11||CAVITE||Bacoor National High School-Tabing Dagat|
|12||CEBU||Abellana National School, Cebu City|
|13||DAVAO||Sta Ana National High School-Guerrero Campus, Davao City|
|14||IFUGAO||Ifugao State University, Nayon, Lamut|
|15||ILIGAN CITY||Iligan City National High School, Iligan City|
|16||ILOCOS NORTE||Ilocos Norte National High School, Laoag City|
|17||ILOILO CITY||Iloilo National High School, La Paz, Iloilo City|
|18||ISABELA||Rizal National High School, Santiago City|
|19||LAGUNA||Pacita Complex National High School, San Pedro|
|20||LA UNION||La Union National High School, San Fernando|
|21||MISAMIS ORIENTAL||Misamis Oriental Gen. Comp. H.S., Cagayan de Oro|
|22||MT. PROVINCE||Mt. Province Gen. Comp. H.S., Bontoc|
|23||NCR-FAIRVIEW||Batasan Hills National High School|
|24||NCR-MAKATI||Benigno Ninoy S. Aquino High School, Makati City|
|25||NUEVA VIZCAYA||Solano National High School, Solano|
|26||PAMPANGA||Pampanga High School, San Fernando|
|27||PANGASINAN||Dagupan City National High School, Pangasinan|
|28||QUEZON PROVINCE||Quezon National High School, Lucena City|
|29||ROXAS CITY||Capiz National High School, Capiz|
|30||SOUTH COTABATO||Gen. Santos City High School-Main, Rizal St., Calumpang|
|31||SOUTHERN LEYTE||Sogod National High School|
|32||TARLAC||Tarlac National High School, Tarlac|
PMMA Requirements and Qualifications
To be able to take the entrance examination and eventually join the PMMA as a cadet, an applicant must possess the following requirements and qualifications:
- The applicant must be a natural-born Filipino citizen;
- At least 17 years old and not a day older than 23 years old upon enrollment on August 01 of the school year in which he/she seeks admission to the Academy;
- Must be physically and mentally fit;
- He or she must be single and never been married and no child to support;
- Not accused or convicted of any crime against the law and the state;
- At least high school graduate (K to 12, any Strand);*
- At least 160 centimeters (5’3″) for male and 155 centimeters (5’1″) for female;
- BMI of less than 25;
- At least of good academic performance;
- Has not been enrolled in PMMA.
* An applicant must be a Senior High School Graduate (any Strand) or a High School graduate (prior to the implementation of K-12) with a College background before admission to PMMA in August 2020. Hence, High School graduates with Vocational and/or TESDA courses shall be disqualified.
Any false declaration on the application form shall be subject to disqualification regardless if he or she passes the examination. Likewise, any applicant who possesses the medical and dental conditions enumerated below are also disqualified:
- Any visual impairment like color blindness, near/far-sightedness, and other visual conditions;
- Physical deformities like bow-leggedness and other birth defects;
- Other medical conditions like perforated eardrum, chronic sinusitis, bleeding tendencies, hemorrhoids, hernia (if not treated), varicocele, extensive skin disorders, and the likes;
- With a history of heart disease hypertension, asthma, active PTB, kidney and liver diseases, epileptic seizure disorders, major operations, communicable diseases (such as AIDS, Hepatitis, VD, etc.);
- Full dentures, upper and lower;
- Cleft lip and palate, Malocclusion, Deformities of the face, Open bite, Tongue-tied;
- Missing of four anterior or front teeth or missing of four posterior/molar teeth;
- Tattoos and other brotherhood marks;
- For female applicants: Goiter, History of pregnancy, the presence of breast mass, painful menstruation.
How to Apply in the PMMA
The journey towards your future seafaring career starts by submitting your application for the entrance examination. Please follow the step by step procedure on how to file your application.
- A fully-accomplished application form. It can be downloaded from the PMMA official website or from the various testing centers nationwide;
- 3 copies of recent 2×2 colored pictures with a name tag, on a white background;
- Photocopy of your Birth Certificate issued by the PSA (Baptismal and Hospital Birth Certificate not honored)
- 2 pcs. self-addressed long white mailing envelopes with 40.00 Pesos worth of mailing stamps per envelope.
1. Fill-up your application form and choose your preferred testing center from the list above. Write the testing code in the space provided on the application form.
2. Submit your fully-accomplished application form together with the documentary requirements in person or through the mail to this address:
Philippine Merchant Marine Academy
San Narciso, Zambales
3. For applicants who will submit their applications personally, you may submit right after the last entrance examination up to September (the following year). For those applicants who opt to send their application by mail, you may submit right after the last examination up to August 31 only.
4. Complete all the documentary requirements before filing your application. Any applications with incomplete requirements will not be processed
Any applicant who passed the PMMAEE will have to undergo the following to qualify for admission:
- Psychological Evaluation;
- Height and weight measurement;
- Color Perception Test (ISHIHARA) and Snellens;
- Dental (Pre-Med / Pre-Dental)
- Physical Examination
- Laboratory Examination
TOPNOTCHER Philippines encourages applicants to go to your local hospital or clinic for these examinations especially the color perception tests. This way, you will know if you are qualified before filing your application. Doing so will save you time and effort once you found out you are not qualified for the failure to these exams means disqualification.
There are limited slots for walk-in applicants and they are subject for approval. If you failed to submit your application via mail, you may go directly to the designated testing center with the requirements stated above. Please make sure you have the complete requirements. Applicants with incomplete requirements are not allowed to take the PMMAEE. The registration time for walk-in applicants starts at 0600H and ends at 0800H.
Benefits of Being a Midshipman in the PMMA
Being a cadet of the PMMA makes you a government scholar. This is where you will experience a semi-military lifestyle of leadership environment. In addition to the free tuition and board/lodging, a midshipman is entitled to the following benefits:
- A chance to join the pioneer institution in maritime education in the country;
- A chance to travel the world for free while still studying;
- An assured shipboard training onboard international ocean-going vessels;
- Automatic commissionship in the Philippine Navy and Philippine Coast Guard as Ensign (2Lt);
- 100% employability, immediate hiring by more than thirty (30) partner international and manning companies; and
- Promising careers in the seafaring industry as master mariners; chief engineers; shipping executives, naval or coast guard officers, educators, trainers in maritime-related industries/institutions.
What are you waiting for? Here is the chance to become one of the successful seafarers at little or no cost! Submit your application now and be a part of the long BLUE LINE!